"As a church called to welcome the stranger, and as the North Carolina Synod, we are asking you to help us care for and welcome refugee families."
—Bishop Tim Smith, NC Synod
Our goal is 70% of the synod's 190 congregations (133 congregations) will actively engage in resettlement through December 2023.
- Lutheran Services Carolinas (LSC) current resettlement offices: Raleigh and Asheville
LSC Salisbury Resettlement office opening January 2023!
- 164 congregations fall within the 100-mile coverage radius of LSC offices.
- Congregations that fall outside LSC's coverage radius can partner with a congregation that does or connect with a partner like Church World Service.
What Can We Do?
Play a pivotal role in a family’s ‘long welcome’ with the support of LSC and the NC Synod Immigration & Refugee Team. Micro-grants are available to congregations beginning new Circles of Welcome. For more information about starting a Circle of Welcome email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact LSC at email@example.com to learn how can donate or create welcome kits for refugees.
Consider using your parsonage—or any congregation-owned housing—for refugee families. LSC will provide a rental stipend for these properties.
LSC is excited to announce that two new projects are being included in the Be The Light campaign.
- New Americans Program Welcome House in Raleigh
- New Americans Program Welcome House in Salisbury
Connect with Emily Dubay, LSC Director of Development, to learn more about the campaign and/or how to run an appeal on behalf of Be The Light.”
They Are Us: Lutherans and Immigration
The NC Synod Immigration & Refugee Ministry Team held a synodwide book study in Fall 2022.
They Are Us offers "a thoughtful and timely look at the Christian calling to Welcome the Stranger" and
complements the work of congregations engaging in the Bishop's Challenge!
- Order They Are Us from Fortress Press or other sellers.
Watch recordings of all 5 book study sessions in the synod's YouTube playlist below.
Digital, print, and social media resources are available for congregational use.