Lutheran Youth Organization
The Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) of the NC Synod is open to all youth in grades 6-12. Youth are members by virtue of being a member of any NC Synod ELCA congregation.
Every year, Lutheran youth across North Carolina gather in February for an assembly. At LYO Assembly, youth spend time with each other in small groups, singing with the band and growing in faith.
The strength of LYO in North Carolina comes from the youth themselves. LYO is always youth-planned and youth-led. Adult advisors work hard to create an environment that nurtures and grows faith and develops all youth as leaders.
LYO 2023 Assembly Details
- THEME: Points of Balance
- KEY VERSE: Matthew 22:37-39 The Greatest Commandment
- DATES: February 24-26, 2023
- LOCATION: Embassy Suites, Greensboro
- COST: Early Bird $145 Sept. 1 - Nov. 1
- Regular $160 Nov. 2 and Jan. 20
Tell It! Video Contest
- The synod’s Engage the Bible Ministry Team challenges youth groups to get creative & retell a Bible story in a new way! This year, the contest will use TikTok and videos must be shorter than 2 minutes.
- The top 3 submissions will be shown and voted on by youth at the LYO Assembly.
- Enter for a chance to earn cash prizes for your youth group!
- Mark your calendars: videos are due by Friday, February 10, 2023
- LYO Offerings will go toward AMMPARO, "a holistic, whole church commitment by the ELCA, as a church in the world, to accompany children today and in the future."
- Cash donations will be collected at Sunday LYO Worship.
- You can also Give Online Here - Select 'Leadership/Discipleship' fund and enter 'LYO Offering' in the memo
Adult and Small Group Leader Information
- 2022 Resources for Youth Groups: Available Here!
- Required Documents Due at Check-In:
- Congregational Covenant (one per congregation)
- Synod Medical Release (for each participant)
- Safe Gatherings child protection training and background check, or an equivalent, must be on file for each adult leader within the last 3 years
2023 Members: Emma Bingaman, Abby Carpenter, Lilly Dangerfield, Macy Johnson, Hannah Rochester, Elizabeth Winkel
Adult Advisors: Kai Thurow, Cathryn Hewett
Synod Staff Liaison: Carissa Abraham