All churches grow old, but strategic churches are growing young.
Churches are both shrinking and aging as more young people disengage. Based on groundbreaking research from the Fuller Youth Institute (FYI) with over 250 of the nation’s leading congregations, Growing Young provides a strategy any church can use to involve and retain young people. It profiles innovative churches engaging 15- to 29-year-olds that are growing–spiritually, emotionally, missionally, and numerically. Packed with ideas, Growing Young shows ministry leaders how to position their churches to reach younger generations in a way that breathes life into the whole church.
Growing Young Cohort
Through the Growing Young Cohort, we want to help you sort through the numerous strategies you could try and instead focus on what’s most essential in helping young people discover and love your church. We are excited to be offering a special NC Synod Growing Young Cohort in 2019. This advanced training model invites your team to journey with like-minded churches for one year through:
- Two in-person summits on January 31-February 1, 2019 and September 5-6, 2019 that dive into the research behind Growing Young, foster small and large group discussions, and help you create a plan to implement new strategies in your church.
- Regular online webinars hosted by FYI and other leading ministry voices on topics such as leading change, sociological and cultural trends among today’s young people, conquering conflict and more.
- One year of personalized coaching, including support in developing a strategy for change.
- Comprehensive online diagnostic tests that shed light on areas for growth and guide your
The Cohort will provide your church with both a holistic philosophy and practical ideas to make much-needed shifts in your congregational culture today. For more detailed information, please download this handout.
Registration closes November 30.
The content will begin by debunking many of the popular—and harmful—myths of what is needed to reach young people. Then, through expert teaching from world-class Fuller faculty and other ministry thought leaders, we’ll explore the six core commitments our research revealed that can unleash the passion of young people:
- Unlock keychain leadership: Instead of centralizing authority, empower others— especially young people.
- Empathize with today’s young people: Instead of judging or criticizing, step into the shoes of this generation.
- Take Jesus’ message seriously: Instead of asserting formulaic gospel claims, welcome young people into a Jesus-centered way of life.
- Fuel a warm community: Instead of focusing on cool worship or programs, aim for warm peer and intergenerational friendships.
- Prioritize young people (and families) everywhere: Instead of giving lip service to how much young people matter, look for creative ways to tangibly support, resource, and involve them in all facets of your congregation.
- Be the best neighbors: Instead of condemning the world outside your walls, enable young people to neighbor well locally and globally.
Ready to change your strategy?
Get started today!
We are proud to be offering a NC Growing Young Cohort! Summits will take place in NC on January 31-February 1, 2019 and September 5-6, 2019. For more information, please download this handout!
Explain Growing Young:
Want more info?
Assistant to the Bishop